Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Perplexed


In the fall of 2003 when ABC began airing Extreme Makeover: Home Edition I fell in love with the show. Yes, I was a fan of Ty Pennington and his days on TLC's Trading Spaces, but this new show was more than just another cool design show. It had a wonderful story about people. How could you not watch this show and not feel deep emotion. It touched my heart, and now that my kids are old enough to watch it with me it spawns great conversations. I loved it back in 2003 and I love it in 2010.

This last week I've come across several articles concerning families this show will be helping. I first read here about the show coming to Oklahoma. On Monday that family, Brain & Audra Skaggs, were surprised with a knock on their door. I later read here that the show would be making an appearance in East Texas, and then I found this article about a family in Tulsa who was having the big reveal today, Wednesday, February 3, 2010. It is this article's comment section that has me perplexed.

After reading the article I glanced down and saw there were sixty something comments. I began to skim over a couple of the comments. I don't normally even look at comments, but for some reason tonight I did. I noticed a couple people commenting about how previous families cannot afford to keep the nice new home that Extreme Makeover: Home Edition had built for them or pay the taxes on their new home. My first thought is "Why would you bring that up in the comment stream of an article about congratulating a family with a new home? " I mean, really, what is the point?

Thankfully most of the comments were congratulations for the Starkweather's instead of negative comments about the show or the show's recipients.

People. Sometimes I really don't get people.

No comments: