Monday, August 21, 2006

Bedtime Routine

Wes and I decided when we moved Katherine from her baby crib into her toddler bed at about 18 months old that we would do our best to establish a regular bedtime routine. For Katherine's first Christmas her Aunt Julia and Uncle Scott had given her the book Goodnight Moon. Wes and I began tucking her into bed, reading Goodnight Moon, and saying a prayer with her. It wasn't too long before she could quote every word of Goodnight Moon along with praying with us. Her prayers were as follows: "Dear God, Thank you for my mom, my dad, and my George."(George was our golden retriever) We still continue this bedtime routine even though she has outgrown her toddler bed and now request other more grown up books. However, the prayer hasn't changed all that much. She now quotes: "Dear God, Thank you for my mom, my dad, my George, and my brother." We no longer have George, but that doesn't stop Katherine from praying for him. She has begun to pray for her friends just recently too. The first time she prayed for all the friends in her Sunday School class and their siblings, I just melted. It really touched my heart! I am so proud that my daughter wants to pray for the people she loves.

We have started reading Goodnight Moon to Sebastian now as we tuck him into bed. Katherine loves to help, and it really has brought back memories of our time with her. I know it won't be long until Sebastian is quoting every word of the book also. He already starts saying "moon" and pointing to the book after his bedtime bath. I know it won't be long until I am writing about Sebastian praying for his friends. Wow!

No comments: