Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Tongue Equals Trouble

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world... Philippians 2:14-15

My tongue gets me into all sorts of trouble! I have a habit of grumbling, questioning, & complaining.

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:29-32

There are many times corrupting talk comes out of my mouth. More negative words flow from my mouth than positive words. I do not build up others as much as I am called to do. My words and actions more often than not grieve the Holy Spirit. Yes, I struggle with bitterness and anger, which I am called to "put away from me". God calls me to be kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving to others like He is to me. There are some days I can do this very well, but too many days when I fail miserably.

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. James 1:19-21


I am not quick to hear, slow to speak, or slow to anger. What does that say about me? Scripture tells me "for the anger of a man (me) does not produce the righteousness of God".

I said somethings yesterday with an attitude not of Christ. The above scriptures are what God brought to my mind this morning followed by repentance & forgiveness.

No comments: