Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Kenney's first Gingerbread House

Several weeks ago, while walking through Sams, Wes noticed a gingerbread house kit and mentioned it would be fun to do with Katherine this year. I agreed, but that day we didn't purchase the gingerbread kit. Just over a week ago I was in the store and saw another gingerbread house kit and decided I would pick one up for us to do as a nice family project. (Please take note of the word family...meaning Wes, Katherine, Sebastian, and myself.)

The kids had been waiting not so patiently for a week to make the gingerbread house, and so I decided Friday night would be the night. It started out so well. The kids and I put all the different candy in cups and sorted out the pieces for the house. The kids kneaded the icing and then it began! I had the wonderful job of icing each piece and getting the house together. I admit I had some trouble. I did manage to get the walls of the house and roof together just as Wes was walking in the door. Wes and I made the decision the house needed to set overnight before we tried adding the candy. (Notice where Wes enters this story.) Katherine and Sebastian were not happy with our decision, but we told them we were going to put up the Christmas tree and other decorations Saturday afternoon and would finish the gingerbread house then.

Saturday afternoon, after the boys took naps and the girls had the tree up, we began working once again on the gingerbread house. I had a much better grasp on using the icing and the kids were excited to decorate with the candy. (Wes was at the store.) Sebastian helped decorate the little gingerbread men with Katherine's oh so gentle instructions before deciding he'd had enough. Plus, he didn't enjoy getting icing on his hands unlike his sister who was definitely making a mess! Katherine and I were putting the finishing touches on when Wes arrived home from the store. Here is the finished project....

Now that this little project is complete I can say I did enjoy it. What I really enjoyed was spending the time with my kids.

*I should mention that Wes is the one who moved the gingerbread house from the middle of the kitchen and displayed it nicely in our dining room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty Gingerbread House - I've Always Wanted to try One, but Never Have. For those of you that don't know - Sebastian and Katherine are "PERFECT" children.