Friday, April 27, 2007

Katherine's the Winner!


Recently the kids were playing together rather roughly, and Wes raised the following question "Which one will visit the emergency room first?" At that time Wes and I decided it would be Sebastian; however, we figured if Katherine was the first one to visit the ER it would most definitely be because of Sebastian.

Let's start the story here...Yesterday afternoon Sebastian was peacefully taking a nap while Katherine was in the kitchen coloring. I was busy paying some bills and doing other household chores. Around ten till 3pm I hear footsteps coming down the hall and Sebastian enters the living room. Katherine and I greet him as he crawls up into my lap asking for a drink. Just then Katherine comes back into the living room and tells me she has a bead up her nose. After my not so calm reaction of "WHAT?", I told her to sit down so I could take a look. Sure enough there was a small brown bead in the left nostril. Now, earlier in the day she had found two small beads that she and I had missed picking up after a bracelet broke. I figured she threw these in the trash like we did with the other beads we had picked up. I was incorrect!

I did my best to remain calm and try to get Katherine to blow the bead out, but my comment not to breathe in through her nose started her crying. I made the decision that I was not getting this bead out without some assistance, so it was time to head to the ER. (For those of you wondering where my husband was during all this...he was umpiring a baseball game.)

At this point, I become stressed trying to keep Katherine calm while getting us ready to go. Sebastian needed a new diaper, shorts, and shoes while Katherine changed out of her play dance outfit. I really would have taken her in the dance outfit, but changing provided her with something to do other than cry! During all the madness I did manage to find someone who could take care of Sebastian while Katherine and I made our little trip. It really didn't take long to actually get out the door, but it seemed like forever.

I took Katherine to McCurtain County Memorial in Idabel, Oklahoma. We spent over three hours there for a procedure that actually took less than a minute. Katherine did great in the ER, and I am so thankful our first visit wasn't a more serious one.

(By the way, a hospital can be a great place to play I SPY.)

No comments: