Saturday, April 28, 2007

VBS Clinic 2007


As my faithful readers already know (all three of you), I was a part of the VBS clinic held at First Baptist Church in Antlers, Oklahoma last Saturday. This clinic is hosted by Frisco Baptist Association for the purpose of allowing churches to bring their vacation bible school workers for training. Those in attendance are exposed to the new vbs material; teaching techniques; ministry tools; decorating suggestions; craft, recreation, & game ideas; and various other topics. The goal is to prepare teachers and workers to present the gospel of Christ to the children attending vbs this summer.

The clinic began at 9 AM with an opening rally introducing the VBS Team before moving into the traditional vbs worship rally complete with flags & pledges. Then it was time to attend session one: Basic Training. The following classes were offered:
Pastors
VBS Directors
3's-Pre-K
Kindergarten
1st & 2nd Grade Bible Study
3rd & 4th Grade Bible Study
5th & 6th Grade VBX
Youth
Crafts
Missions
Music
Snacks
Recreation
Spanish VBS

Session Two offered Enrichment Courses:
The ABC's of Becoming a Christian (How to counsel a child)
Decoration Ideas
Overview of Pre-School & Kindergarten Rotations
Overview of 1st-6th Grade Rotations
Scoring BIG with VBS Prospects
Spring Training for Rookie Teachers

Rounding out the clinic was time to visit the bookstore and tour the different class rooms. The leaders remained in their classroom to answer any questions.

I was the leader for the 3's-Pre-K during session one & two. I did my best to provide those attending this class all the information I could concerning information about teaching preschoolers. I talked about the basic concepts of how preschoolers learn and respond along with some of their characteristics. I went over the vbs materials for this year, and I talked about the activities suggested within the material. I discussed how I decorated the room and pointed out decorations should not over power a preschool room. I reminded them decorations are nice, but decorations are not why we do vbs. It is easy to get excited with the theme and forget the importance of the bible stories presented each day. I shared ways to repeat the bible truths during music, recreation, snacks, crafts, and not just during the bible story and mission times. I pray I conveyed the importance of showing God's love and teaching Jesus' story to preschool children through out every word and activity done.

The lessons I try to teach are good reminder lessons to myself. I may have been the "leader", but those in my sessions also shared some good lessons and ideas with me. I praise God He allows me the opportunity to participate in this great ministry.

No comments: